KATHMANDU, Feb 15: The Ministry of Youth and Sports has sent a letter to the Ministry of Defense on Tuesday requesting the latter to ask the Nepal Army not to pull out of the Sixth National Games.
Nepal Army had informed media last week that its Tribhuvan Army Club would pull out of the National Games to be held in Dhangadhi and Mahendranagar from February 26 to March 4.
Army had cited South Asian Army Sports Meet as the main reason for the pull-out but had expressed displeasure over the inclusion of PLA Club of Maoist combatants as a departmental team.
"Our ministry (Ministry of Youth and Sports) has sent a letter to the Ministry of Defense informing about public statements of Army officials about the possible pull-out requesting Ministry of Defense to instruct Army to participate," said Youth and Sports Minister Kamala Roka.
"The prime minister has assured us that he would personally discuss the issue with the army chief," she added.
Financial guidelines for the Games
Minister Roka said she believes that Army would respond positively to her ministry´s formal request.
She informed Republica that the Tuesday´s cabinet meeting approved financial guidelines for the Sixth National Games.
Meanwhile, National Sports Council Member Secretary Yuvaraj Lama said the finance ministry would release additional Rs 49.4 million for the Sixth National Games.
"The Ministry of Finance had released Rs 100 million earlier and recently released additional Rs 70 million. The ministry will release an additional Rs 49.4 million for the National Games," said Lama.
"It is now confirmed that the Sixth National Games will kick off on February 26," said Lama. "We now don´t have any problems regarding financial, infrastructure and selection issues," he added.